What is Social Media?
Social media is a place/platform where people from all over the world can connect and interact with each other and convey their thoughts as well as opinions. There are no boundaries that people have, to open their odd thoughts and messages. There are platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp, Gmail, Youtube, Instagram, Snapchat, and many more.
Today social media has become a craze all over the world like everyone wants to be on social media sites, including students, parents, senior citizens, corporate companies, etc.
Why is it so important?
Everyone has a smartphone with them and it becomes easier for them to use social networking sites. Everyone will have at least one account on one of the mentioned social media platforms.
Social media has played a significant role in connecting students to people who are like role models. It is more convenient than conventional methods of communication. Businesses can use social media to target their specific audience.
Advantages of social media on students:
- Many jobs are being created for social media development/management.
- Students can promote college festivals or activities using social media.
- Students can take online classes from e-learning websites and discuss their learnings or doubts using various social media channels.
- Students can share students’ materials like notes, textbooks, learning videos through social networking sites like WhatsApp and Facebook messenger.
Disadvantages of social media on students:
- A collection of survey data says that more than 60% of our youth are active social media users. Some of us spent two or more hours a day on social media and with confidence, it can be said that anything that we do this long or anything we pay this much attention to has an everlasting effect on us whether we notice it or not.
- Well, most of us will first check our phones to see what messages we got after sleeping and the last thing that we do before sleeping at night is also to check our phones.
- The problem with the excessive usage of social media is today’s youth is tomorrow’s future. We ought to be using the internet to build ourselves to be well equipped with the skills, knowledge, and trades required to build something new but instead, we are using it to destroy ourselves as well as each other and the worst part is we don’t even notice it.
- Insecurity- Social media gives rise to a lack of confidence. Social media is your own personal highlighted events. You always want to show off your wins, best looks, amazing moments and even though appreciating the good things in life isn’t a bad thing. The highlighted event is the cause of most teenagers’ insecurities today, and that is because we are always comparing our struggles or behind the scenes to other peoples or students highlighted events.
Few more disadvantages are:
- Decreased productivity
- The false sense of connection
- Privacy issues
All in all, social media is a handy platform, but we must be aware of its dangers and the disadvantages it provides us. When it comes down to whether social media is right for you then that is something you can decide using your judgment and experience.